20 years ago today, The Offspring released their breakout album Smash on Epitaph Records and made history. To celebrate the band will begin playing the album in its entirety on tour in Europe this May, June and early July before finishing out the Summer with soon to be announced US Smash dates. Visit Offspring.com for the full list of current tour dates and to see which dates are the designated Smash shows. This August, Epitaph will also commemorate the anniversary with a special 20th Anniversary Edition of Smash. The Offspring’s Dexter Holland and Noodles, as well as Epitaph CEO Brett Gurewitz, recently shared their thoughts in a retrospective just posted to RollingStone.com, read it here.
SMASH 20TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION CD/VINYL
- Available now for pre-order via offspring.com, this package will ship and be in stores in mid-August 2014 from Epitaph Records. The Smash 20th Anniversary Edition will include the following:
- LP version containing the original 14 album tracks newly remastered on 180-gram vinyl
- CD version containing the original 14 album tracks from the most recent remastering
- Restyled album package artwork
- Large format 24 page booklet featuring never before seen archive photos by Lisa Johnson
- Firsthand recollections and quotes from the band and others telling the story of that historic time
In addition to special 20th Anniversary merchandise, the band are also offering a “collector’s box” combo as a companion piece to the Smash 20th Anniversary Edition. The box will feature both the CD/Vinyl package and a curated collection of commemorative items including a custom wood box, art print, photo prints, pin, patch, replica pass and guitar pick. A pre-order for is available now via offspring.com - for the first 250 ordered, the art print will be on fine art linen canvas, numbered and signed by the artist and band. All orders placed in the first 24 hours will receive a special hand-stamped first day of release card as well.
Smash has sold over six million copies in the United States alone - certified 6x platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America. Selling 11 million copies worldwide, Smash is the best-selling independent label album of all time.
The Offspring’s album Smash was an impactful and immediate hit when released in 1994, making a place for the band in an exciting and significant time for alternative music. The album's first single "Come Out and Play" hit number 1 on Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart. The following single, "Self Esteem" peaked at number 4, and "Gotta Get Away" hit number 6 on the Billboard Modern Rock Track Charts.